Friday, November 2, 2012

Tofu Scramble

Tofu has been a common ingredient in Thai and Chinese cuisine, especially, if you are a vegetarian, most of the dishes have tofu in some form. Back home, when I tried tofu for the first time, I didn't like the taste much as it had a distinct flavor. But after I came to the U.S., it has been an ingredient that I started including more often in my cooking. I have used them in many forms from soups to desserts. A couple years ago, when I lived with my aunt's family, I had the chance to eat different kinds of foods which I wouldn't normally think of trying on my own. One day, she decided to make scrambled tofu for breakfast (FYI, it was exclusively for me as my aunt hates tofu). At first, I hesitated as I don't like the consistency of scrambled eggs and secondly, didn't know how the taste would turn out. Suprisingly, I enjoyed the scrambled tofu and ever since, it has been on my list of breakfast items. Generally, people use silken tofu to make this dish but I made some tweaks to my aunt's recipe and also used firm tofu as I like the texture better. This recipe can be used as a filling for a sandwich or you can make tofu rolls (similar to my paneer rolls) and coat it with crushed cornflakes or cornmeal (either fried or baked) to enjoy a crispy and protein packed appetizer.

Ingredients:

14 oz firm tofu (crush them with your fingers to get a crumbly texture)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
5-6 broccoli florets, finely chopped (fresh or frozen, if using frozen thaw before use)
3 green chillies, finely chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
1 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper, to taste

Method:



In a skillet or a pan, on medium heat, add the oil, onions and green chillies. Sauté until the onions turn slightly brown.

Add the broccoli and red bell pepper and sauté until vegetables are half done (if you don't like the crunch, cook them longer). Add the tofu and stir well. Now, add the salt and pepper  and cook for 8-10 mins until the tofu is done.  Sprinkle some chopped cilantro and add the nutritional yeast and fry well for 1-2 mins. Serve hot with toasted bread. 

Makes 2 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment