Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pumpkin Halwa

Pumpkin is a variety of Squash and is a widely used vegetable by many of us. Pumpkin is typically used to make gravies, soups and even pumpkin pies. I have heard about pumpkin halwa but never had the chance to taste it...not a fan of sweet treats. I know it is usually made with freshly grated pumpkin but I had a pumpkin puree can sitting in my pantry and was crying out loud to be used up, so I finally decided to use it. I was skeptical about how pumpkin would taste as a sweet dish but I guess this dish proved me wrong and it turned out to be tasty :)


       There are so many ways to make pumpkin halwa. Many people prepare a simple sugar syrup and some add milk too. Keep it simple and enjoy the sweetness!!!

Ingredients:


15 oz pumpkin puree (I used Libby's)
1/2 cup almonds, soaked & de-skinned
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cardamom powder
2 tbsp ghee
Saffron, few strands
10-12 cashews, cut into halves


Method:

                                     
In a deep pan, heat the ghee and fry the cashews until golden brown and set aside.  Add the pumpkin puree to the pan and mix well with the ghee. Allow the puree to cook for about 20 mins or so until the raw smell of the pumpkin fades away.


Make a powder of the almonds and add it to the pumpkin puree. Add the sugar  (you can add 3/4 cup if you want it less sweet), cardamom powder and saffron strands (you can soak them in milk and add them too). Stir constantly and cook for 5-8 minutes. Garnish with cashews and serve hot.

Makes 4-5 servings.