Friday, September 3, 2010

Tomato Rice

Tomato Rice is one of the very first recipes I learnt from my mom. It is a simple recipe that you can make quickly and tastes so much better than the plain old tomato rice. One of my friends has been asking me for this recipe and I keep telling her that I will make it for her someday but it hasn't happened yet....maybe when I meet her next time. Normally, I make beetroot raitha but since I am out of beetroot, going back to the usual onion raitha.

Ingredients:

1 big onion, thinly cut lengthwise
4-5 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1/2 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
1-2 tsp chilli powder (I like it spicier, so I add 2 tsp)
Salt, to taste
1 1/2 cups basmati rice, washed & soaked for 1/2 hour
2 1/2 cups water
4 tbsp oil
1/2 fresh lemon juice, squeezed
1 tbsp ghee (melted butter)

For seasoning:

2-3 cinnamon sticks
2-3 cardomom
3-4 cloves
2-3 bay leaves

Method:


In a pan, heat the oil and ghee and season it with cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and bay leaves. Add the onions and fry for sometime.

Now, add the tomatoes and fry again till it becomes pulpy. Add the ginger-garlic paste and saute the mix for sometime. Add chilli powder and cook for few minutes until the raw smell fades away. Add chopped mint leaves and fry for a minute. Add the basmati rice to the mix and fry for 3 minutes until the rice starts to separate.

Add water to the rice and some salt to taste. When the water starts boiling, add the chopped cilantro leaves and lemon juice. Close the lid and set it on medium flame for 10-12 minutes until the rice is cooked completely. Don't stir in between.

After 10-12 minutes, turn off the stove and mix it well. Serve with raitha.

Makes 4 servings.