Friday, June 28, 2013

Quick & Easy Peas Curry

On second thoughts, I should probably rename it as "no fuss peas curry".  Every now and then, my lazy bones start acting up and I have moments when I want to eat something quick, healthy and tasty but don't really want to go through the trouble of chopping any veggies (well, maybe just for garnishing or sometimes, I wind up gently twisting them and pinch some off to use...yep, that's how lazy I get at times...I suppose it has more to do with your mood as well).  Anyway, its quick and easy, especially, if you have all the ingredients in your pantry, you can prepare a tasty dish that can be served with rice or any indian bread of your choice.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup french fried onions, crushed
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 cup diced/crushed tomatoes (I prefer crushed)
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
Salt, to taste
1/2 cup water
1 1/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1/3 cup lukewarm unsweetened original almond milk (mixed with 1 1/4 tsp cornstarch)
1 tsp kasoori methi leaves, crushed
1/2 tbsp oil

Method:


In a deep pan, heat oil. Add fried onions and sauté for 1-2 mins.


Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté until the raw smell is gone. Add crushed tomatoes, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and fry until the flavors blend well together.


Add water and salt and cook for few minutes.  Allow it to boil until the raw smell fades away. Now, add the peas and cook until they are soft but slightly firm.


Add the almond milk and cornstarch mix (a trick I learnt from my aunt who originally uses evaporated milk and cornstarch, so altered it a bit) to get a creamy texture (you can use cashew paste or coconut milk creamer as a substitute) and stir well until it is mixed evenly. Add the crushed kasoori methi leaves and mix again. When it starts to boil, turn the stove off. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve hot.


Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment